Have you ever seen an edifice standing tall, strong and beautiful? You admire its elegance and beauty and I hope you’re quick to remember that a few days, weeks, months, or even years before, it was bare ground where that building stands.
The builders had to put in some structural features such as the foundation, pillars, walls…(a builder would be able to give us more features) so that this building would end up as a beauty and pride to the owners.
Well, when God was building His kingdom on earth, He also used some structural features and tithing is one of such.
I see tithing as a Pillar required for financial abundance. From all indications, it hinges on the principle of sowing and reaping and if adopted is sure to lead you to wealth and peace.
The Tithe is the first 10% of every increase that comes to you! It belongs to God. You pay it at the local assembly where you are fed spiritually.
Even business and personal finance coaches recommend giving a part of your income to charity as a fundamental principle of becoming wealthy.
In this post I share 6 reasons why I tithe and think you should too.
- God Instructed it: It didn’t sound to me like He suggested it. It was more like an instruction or command when God told the Israelite through Moses to pay their tithes Leviticus 27:30. Even little children know the difference between an instruction and an appeal or suggestions from their parents. If I call God my Father and He gives me an instruction, then as a proof of my love and respect for Him, I will obey Him
- Jesus acknowledged it: Jesus and The Pharisees definitely saw things differently on practically all issues and tithing was one of such issues. The Pharisees would tithe even the minutest thing yet they would neglect some important things like justice and the love of God. Jesus in correcting them of this practice noted that it was good that they tithe but they should not neglect executing justice for the people and loving God too. Luke 11:42, Matthew 2
- It is the security on my resources (just like insurance): Since life happens without prior warning and many people have suffered some times unnecessary losses, the practice of insuring one’s valuables helps minimize the effects of loss. BusinessDictionary.com defines insurance as the “risk-transfer mechanism that ensures full or partial financial compensation for the loss or damage caused by event(s) beyond the control of the insured party.” When I pay my tithe, I activate God’s guarantee to indemnify me of any losses that I may experience but the juiciest part of the deal is that He even ensures that He keeps the enemy from having access to me and my resources. Malachi 3:11
3 More Reasons why I Tithe…
- It is my access to the wealth God has stored up for me: As a child, I knew very well those things to do or not do to unlock Mum and Dad’s store room of goodies. As God’s child, tithing unlocks God’s store room of unimaginable goodies to me. Tithing causes God to bless me so much that even my store house cannot hold all the blessing. Malachi 3:10, Proverbs 3:9-10.
- It reminds me to acknowledge God as my source of strength, wisdom and I can ask for more: I may appear so smart at work, so creative at my craft, so strong in my duties but I know that I am leaning on God’s strength and abilities to help me. When I pay my tithe I remind myself of this. blatant truth-”if it were not for God…” Deuteronomy 8:18
- It is my way of acknowledging that Christ is not only the first in my life, He is first in my finances: I have been in situations where I did not feel appreciated or important by a friend. It’s only natural that such friendships fade out with time. This has made me know better than to place God less than first in my life.God does not want to feel important in my life, He wants first place. I tithe to let Him know that He is first even when it comes to my finances. Exodus 20:3.
These are the reasons why I tithe. I hope one of them encourages you to continue to tithe if you have been tithing and to start if you have not been tithing.
If this post blessed you, please share it.