For most people, each New year begins with New year resolutions. Decisions to start doing some things (like start blogging, exercise more often, start an annual bible reading plan…) and stop doing some other things ( like stop drinking soda, stop gossiping, stop getting to appointments late…) are made. New goals, aspirations and ambitions are given birth to.
For the first few months, we are so stirred up and we follow through with our resolutions but as the year wears on we tend to experience some failures at keeping up with them.
Then especially as the year draws closer and closer to its end, we begin to despair and feel hopeless about our goals.
This is exactly where I was as I woke up this morning.
I had made some decisions and goals regarding different aspects of my life… in my walk with the Lord- I desired to spend more time in prayers, in studying the word, in being a witness of Christ’s love to others; in my business- I desired to launch online, to work on this blog…; in my health- I desired to exercise more consistently, to be more organized…
But as I write this post on this last-day-in October morning, many of these goals are yet to be realised and I woke up not happy…thinking is there any hope of these desires ever seeing the light of day?
Thank God for His word..
So I sought help in the word of God. As I looked in the word I saw
“But then I think about this, and I have hope: We are still alive because the Lord’s faithful love never ends. Every morning he shows it in new ways! You are so very true and loyal! I say to myself, “The Lord is my God and I trust him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him. He is good to those who look for him.” (ERV)
“This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him” (NKJV)
And I was encouraged. I knew that I may not be where thought I would be regarding my desires, goals and dreams, but I wont remain here..I will surely experience God’s faithfulness and steadfast love in a new way every morning.
These are some things I learnt from those verses:
- God’s love is steadfast. He loves me, He loves you and that’s final. His love is not affected by the whims of the weather or feelings. There’s nothing you can do to make Him love you less or more. He just loves you. He just loves me!
- His mercies and His compassions for us never end. If you have experienced His mercy before, know that it has no end, it has no expiry date. You can and will experience His mercies and compassions again and again.
- His mercies are new every morning. Yes! As each new day dawns, expect to experience His love, His compassion, His mercy in new ways. He will meet each new need for His mercy in an entirely new way.
- His faithfulness is great. He is true, He is loyal, He can be depended on.
- He loves it when we look for Him, especially in our “hopeless” situations. He answers our questioning and probing with His goodness.
The prophet Jeremiah who wrote this lamentation when Israel was taken into captivity and in a very hopeless place was smart enough not to throw up his hands in despair.
He said “I could have lost hope but I recalled….”
He recalled that as a nation, Israel had experienced God’s love, mercies in various instances; and He remembered that God was dependable. So even in a hopeless situation, he saw hope being restored.
Your hope can be restored.
You can Start again!
The good news is that it’s never too late to start afresh!
- Sit down and take stock of where you are with your goals (don’t slip into despair again)
- Be thankful for what you have achieved thus far. Don’t overlook the seemingly “little” things. Be thankful for what you have-your life, your health, your loved ones, your job …
- Do back to the drawing board. Reassess your goals. Review them. Refocus your goals given the time you have left in the year. Move some goals till a later time.
- Keep moving. Keep taking steps (even if they are baby steps) towards those goals and desires.
Even if you were losing hope about this year…remember, The Lord loves you, this mercies are endless (no expiration) and they are all new every morning. His faithfulness is great toward you.
This is enough to restore your hope as it did mine and make you leap in praise and start again!
If this was helpful Go on, share it…
I’ll love to know what you think. You can share your thoughts below…